Creating Can Of Coke
To start with I selected the “Cylinder Tool” and then created a small cylinder to the size I thought would be substantial for a can.
Then by right clicking on the object I had just created I selected Convert to Editable Poly so that I could edit it.I have the bottom of the can made now I need to create the top of the can and this is slightly more difficult to create the right shape, as there is a lip on the top of a can.
To do this I used the “Polygon” option and selected the first line of the top part of the cylinder so it made a circle around the top as shown in the picture.Now that I have that selected I used the “Extrude” tool to lift the selection up slightly to created a rim around the can shape.
Now I have this I selected the “Edge” tool again and selected around the outside of the rim the shape I had just created. Using the “Chamfer” tool I curved the edge so it made a smooth edge like a can has.
Now I have the whole can created but only the shape and it is still very much edged and pointed so the best thing to do is use the “Mesh Smooth” modifier to smooth out all of the edges to make it a smooth and metal looking object. As shown here.
Creating Coke Label & Metal Material
To do this I had to use my good friend the Internet and by typing in “Coke Label” I found an image that was the perfect shape and size to fit around my can easily.
Then using my own camera I took a picture of an open can with the ring pull still attached so I could use it on the top of the can to make it look like it is open.
Now that I had the images I needed I created 2 materials for the parts, then I created a 3rd material for the metal to do this I made a “Metal” material and used a light grey colour and changed the Specular Level and Glossiness so that it looked like the shine of a metal.
The next step was to create a 4th Material that would join all of the created materials and set separate ID’s for each of them to put them in places on the created can shape I have made. This is called Multi Sub Object it allows you to place as many different materials into slots that are given a numbered ID from 1 to 20 for example showing each of your different Materials in the window.
After you have set this up you can go into the “Editable Poly” part of your can and select sections or segments of the can and set an ID for each selection, but making sure you select the right slot for each selection so that you use the material you wanted to.
To make sure that all of the materials were added corrently and fit onto the can well I used a "UVW Map" Modifier so that I could use the "Cylinder" option so that it would stretch the "Coke Label" image to fit perfectly between the 2 metal areas.
The image shows what the can looks like with the metal and the coke label materials placed onto it.
Now I wanted to add the ring pull image to the can so it looks like the cans open so I opened the “Editable Poly” part and then added the top centre of the can and selected it as the ID for the ring pull material.
After I had set it the image displayed on the can but I needed to change the tiling for the image so it fit into the space then the can was finished.
No comments:
Post a Comment